Let us take a look at the basic terms of internet that you hear in your day to life. We will see What is internet, what is WWW or the web, what is domain name, what is web hosting service, what is DNS domain name system.
Basic terms of internet – What is internet?
- The Internet is a massive public spiderweb of computer connections.
- It is a network of networks that consists of millions of private, public, academic, business, and government networks, of local to global scope, that are linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies.
- The Internet carries an extensive range of information resources and services, such as the inter-linked hypertext documents of the World Wide Web (WWW), the infrastructure to support email, and peer-to-peer networks.
Click here to read more about what is internet in detail
Basic terms of internet – What is WWW or what is web?
- WWW stands for World Wide Web.
- A technical definition of the World Wide Web is : all the resources and users on the Internet that are using the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP).
- The World Wide Web is the universe of network-accessible information, an embodiment of human knowledge.
- In simple terms, The World Wide Web is a way of exchanging information between computers on the Internet, tying them together into a vast collection of interactive multimedia resources.
- The World Wide Web (abbreviated as WWW or W3, commonly known as the web) is a system of interlinked hypertext documents accessed via the Internet.
- With a web browser, one can view web pages that may contain text, images, videos, and other multimedia and navigate between them via hyperlinks
Click here to read more about WWW in details
Basic terms of internet – What is a domain name?
- A domain name (for instance, “example.com”) is an identification string that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority or control on the Internet.
- Domain names are formed by the rules and procedures of the Domain Name System (DNS). Any name registered in the DNS is a domain name.
- Domain names are used in various networking contexts and application-specific naming and addressing purposes.
- In general, a domain name represents an Internet Protocol (IP) resource, such as a personal computer used to access the Internet, a server computer hosting a web site, or the web site itself or any other service communicated via the Internet.
Click here to read more about Domain name in details
Basic terms of internet – Web hosting service
- A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web.
- Web hosts are companies that provide space on a server owned or leased for use by clients, as well as providing Internet connectivity, typically in a data center.
- Web hosts can also provide data center space and connectivity to the Internet for other servers located in their data center, called colocation, also known as Housing in Latin America or France.
Click here to read more about Web hosting service in details
Basic terms of internet – DNS Domain name system
- The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical distributed naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network.
- It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participating entities. Most prominently, it translates easily memorized domain names to the numerical IP addresses needed for the purpose of locating computer services and devices worldwide.
- The Domain Name System is an essential component of the functionality of the Internet.
Click here to read more about DNS in details